Thursday, October 29, 2009

Frogger legs....

We took Irelyn to see the orthopaedic doctor at Children's Mercy Hospital on Tuesday October 27th to get the results of her hip ultrasound she had done on the 16th. She has developmental hip dysplasia in both hips. The surgeon said that they are not dislocated so that is a good thing. However they are subluxed, which basically means her hips are loose and need to be kept in a frogger leg position with a harness that she is wearing and will have to remain wearing for twelve weeks. Her hips are not actually dislocated or displaced therefore surgery won't be necessary. It looks fairly uncomfortable and she was pretty fussy for the first couple of days.

Irelyn continues to have OT twice a week to work on feedings. She is still only able to take 6 cc's by mouth before she tireds out. She takes 72 cc's every three hours through her Mic-Key button so she still has a long way to go in terms of oral feedings. She is getting stronger each day and we are confident that she will be able to take more and more by mouth each week.

Since Irelyn typically has three to four appointments each week we have decided that I will not be returning to my full-time job. There is no way that can happen. I am working a full-time job now at home managing all her therapies and appointments along with my two other kids schedules. Jeremy is having to work alot of extra hours and is sacrificing his time away from the family in order to make sure we can pay our bills and stay on top of things. I appreciate his willingness to do this for us without any complaints. He is wonderful and I love him deeply. While I will certainly miss my friends that I worked with and the job that I did, I am grateful to be able to stay home with Irelyn and take care of her. By not working outside of the home I am able to keep her protected from additional germs that I would have been exposed to at the hospital. She will have OT tomorrow and then she will have a much needed break for a couple of days that are appointment free! Yeah!

Thank you for reading and checking up on our precious gift from God. She is a wonderful addition to our family and we all adore and love her more than we can say. We will post when we have more news.

The Watters

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful that you are able to stay home with your LO! I have a little one with PWS who is 15 1/2 months old. Its nice to see other mom's blogging about it out there!

    ReplyDelete